- Short Course; Accredited Course
- $910 per level of training required (Basic / Intermediate / Advanced) OR: $375.00 for straight assessment
- Study mode
- On Campus
- Part Time (Day)
This course covers tree felling using a chainsaw for both harvesting and non-commercial operations. There are three levels of skill available to study; basic, intermediate and advanced tree felling.
Basic level competency standards
- Maximum tree diameter of 50cm
- Single stem with no excess lean and no visible damage or defect
- Species and growth conditions not prone to splitting or twisting during felling
- Terrain and slope does not add significant complexity
Intermediate level competency standards
- Maximum tree diameter of 80cm
- Single or multi stem with limited visible damage or defect
- Lean and weight distribution which can be adapted with the use of wedges
- Terrain and slope that may add complexity
Advanced level competency standards
- Tree diameter greater than 80cm (but not limited to)
- Substantial lean
- Visible damage or defects that require complex felling techniques
- Species prone to splitting and adverse reactions during felling
- Terrain and slope that adds significant complexity
Qualifications And Recognition
Upon successful completion of this course students will be eligible to receive credit for the relevant unit of competence
Tree Felling (Basic)
|Tree Felling (Intermediate)|
|Tree Felling (Advanced)|
Qualifications and RecognitionN/A
This course allows you to work as Forestry Worker, Logging Assistant and Tree Faller.
Opportunities for Further Study
- Applicants are eligible for this course if they are at least 18 years of age and have the physical ability to meet the work requirements demanded by specific tasks. Parental consent is required for persons under 18 years of age, who have been deemed eligible to undertake the course.
- Intermediate and advanced falling demands high level of industry experience and extensive knowledge in the operation of chainsaws.
It is recommended that participants have completed a Trim and cross-cut chainsaw course or be able to demonstrate equivalent skills. Please discuss your experience with the Course Coordinator when you make your enquiry.
Course Cost$910 per level of training required (Basic / Intermediate / Advanced) OR: $375.00 for straight assessment
Pathway to Industry Licence
Material and Equipment supplied by students
Student ServicesSupport is available for students at every stage of the study journey. Please speak to any of our friendly reception or teaching staff.
Recognition of Prior LearningMany Federation Training courses offer Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). Click to learn more about RPL and how it can benefit you.
|Unit Code||Unit Description|
|FWPCOT2236||Fall trees manually (basic)|
|FWPFGM3212||Fall trees manually (intermediate)|
|FWPFGM3213||Fall trees manually (advanced)|
Assessment is competency based. A range of assessment methods will be used, including practical tasks, practical experience, practical demonstrations and written/practical assessments.