- Unit Code
- ICTCBL3010B - Install and Terminate Optical Fibre Cable on Customer Premises, ICTCBL2065B - Splice and Terminate Optical Fibre Cable for Carriers and Service Providers
- Short Course
- Study mode
- Part Time
This course provides training for the Telecommunications Carrier industry where subcontract installers are required to install, terminate and maintain singlemode optical fibre/cables and products within the Telstra network. This training course also meets the training requirements for all other carrier providers i.e. Optus, Alcatel, Primus etc.
The course primarily focuses on the installation practices and testing of Singlemode Telecom Outside Plant products i.e. cables, closures, racks/subracks, wall mounts etc. The course consists of:
- Optical fibre principles and characteristics
- Optical fibre/cable characteristics and specifications
- Optical fibre devices (lasers, LEDs and detectors)
- Occupational Health and Safety issues
- Optical fibre cable terminations
- Rack/subracks, closures, wall mounts
- Optical fibre fusion splicing
- Testing and commissioning of optical fibre links
- Labelling and formatting of test results
- Fault finding techniques and devices
Contact Federation Training to express your interest.
Phone: 1300 309 966
Qualifications and RecognitionUpon completion of this course, students will be issued with a Statement of Attainment.
Potential optical fibre work within NBN project
Opportunities for Further Study
These units form part of theCertificate III in Telecommunications (Cabling)
No entry requirement for this course, however it is recommended that participants have ICTBL2136B and ICTCBL2137B (Open Registration Licence)
ICTCBL3010B* - Must meet pre-requisites in order to register this Unit as an Endorsement to ACMA Cabling Licence with Cabling Registrar.
*All customer cabling work in the telecommunications, fire, security and data industries must be performed by a registered cabler. All cablers are required to register with an Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) – accredited registrar. (see pre-requisites)
Pathway to Industry Licence
Material and Equipment supplied by students
Student ServicesSupport is available for students at every stage of the study journey. Please speak to any of our friendly reception or teaching staff.
Recognition of Prior LearningMany Federation Training courses offer Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). Click to learn more about RPL and how it can benefit you.
Assessment is competency-based for each unit. It includes:
- Practical assessment (observation/demonstration) in a simulated environment
- Written assessments
- RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) for suitable applicants