Diploma of Community Services (Alcohol, Other Drugs and Mental Health)
- Course Code
- Course Type
- Accredited Course
- Course Level
- Skills Deepening
- Course Location
- Online; Bairnsdale
- Course Duration
Full Time: 1-2 years
- Course Cost
- For an individual quotation of fees payable, please visit your nearest campus of Federation Training. Click Here for further information regarding Fees and Charges..
- 2015 - Application Form (pdf)
- Study Modes
- Online; Full Time
- Starting Date
- July 2014
AOD & MH Department
Phone: (03) 5662 6835
Post: PO Box 3279, GMC 3841
Flexible Delivery Bairnsdale
Phone: (03) 5152 0743
Post: PO Box 3279, GMC Morwell 3841
Course OverviewThis advanced course will equip you with specialist skills and knowledge including counselling, advocacy and education/health promotion as they relate to working with clients with alcohol, drug and mental health issues.
Qualifications And RecognitionUpon successful completion of this course students will be eligible to receive the Diploma of Community Services (Alcohol, Other Drugs and Mental Health).
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)Many Federation Training courses offer Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). Click to learn more about RPL and how it can benefit you.
- Community Rehabilitation and Support
- Mental Health Outreach Worker
- Mental Health Rehabilitation Support Worker
Participants must have daily access to a computer with a broadband internet connection to participate in this online course. A broadband connection is required due to the large data transmissions needed to participate in the Elluminate (virtual classroom) and other course activities. You must also be comfortable using the internet and other applications such as Microsoft Word, Adobe and Email. Participants will need a headset (with microphone) to attend online classes.
To gain entry into this course, applicants must hold one or more of the following:
- Completed the compulsory units from either the Certificate IV in Alcohol & Other Drugs or Certificate IV in Mental Health
- Sufficient current or previous work experience in the Health and/or Community Services industry
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Have well developed literacy skills
- Have well developed ICT Skills
- Have ready access to broadband internet connection
How To ApplyDirect to Institute
Each unit is assessed individually - Assessment methods typically include case studies, Q&A, group discussions, online conferencing (virtual classroom), assignments, problem solving, projects, research activities and presentations.
Opportunities For Further Study
- Some units may provide credit to other diploma qualifications in the Community Services training package.
- This course could lead to credit into the Bachelor of Community Welfare and Counselling at Monash University.
Can prospective students enrol in individual units?Yes.
|Unit Code||Unit Name|
|CHCAD504B||Provide advocacy and representation services|
|CHCAOD402B||Work effectively in the alcohol and other drugs sector|
|CHCAOD510B||Work effectively with clients with complex alcohol and/or other drug issues|
|CHCAOD511C||Provide advanced interventions to meet the needs of clients with alcohol and/or other drug issues|
|CHCAOD512B||Develop and implement a behaviour response plan (Note - prerequisite CHCICS305A)|
|CHCAOD513A||Provide relapse prevention strategies|
|CHCCOM403A||Use targeted communication skills to build relationships|
|CHCCS504B||Provide services to clients with complex needs|
|CHCCW503A||Work intensively with clients|
|CHCMH401A||Work effectively in mental health settings|
|CHCMH402B||Apply understanding of mental health issues and recovery processes|
|CHCMH404B||Conduct assessment and planning as part of the recovery process|
|CHCMH409A||Facilitate consumer, family and carer participation in the recovery process|
|CHCMH501A||Provide advanced supports to facilitate recovery|
|CHCMH504E||Provide a range of services to people with mental health issues|
|CHCORG428A||Reflect on and improve own professional practice|
|CHCPOL501A||Access evidence and apply in practice|
|CHCPROM503A||Provide community focused promotion and prevention strategies|
|HLTWHS401A||Maintain workplace WHS processes|