Fees & Fee Assistance

The Victorian Training Guarantee is an entitlement to a government-subsidised place in accredited vocational education and training for all courses, subject to eligibility guidelines. Students who are not eligible for government-subsidised training may choose to undertake fee for service training.

Fees can be made up of one or more of the following:

  1. Tuition fees are associated with the teaching and training elements of a course.
  2. Materials fees cover the cost of course materials and consumables, and excursion fees.
  3. Textbooks and stationery.

Fee for service fees are commercial fees calculated at a flat rate per course/unit enrolled.

For indicative fee rates relating to eligible, ineligible and concession holders for 2017 & 2018 courses please view the 2018 Tuition Fees here.

Student tuition fees are indicative only and subject to change given individual circumstances at enrolment. For an individual quotation of fees payable, or to arrange the payment of fees please visit your nearest Federation Training Campus or contact us on 1300 133 717.

Other Charges

Replacement Statement of Results $15.00
Replacement Statement of Attainment $25.00
Replacement Certificate $40.00
Transfer of Red Card to C.I. Card $40.00

Australian Apprenticeships Incentives Programme

There are a number of incentives currently available to eligible employers of Australian Apprentices as well as personal benefit payments available to eligible Australian Apprentices.For information on the Australian Apprenticeships Incentives Programme please visit www.australianapprenticeships.gov.au/programmes/incentives or contact your local Australian Apprenticeship Centre.

VET Student Loans

New VET Student Loans from 1 January 2017

As of 1 January 2017, the Australian Government no longer offers the VET FEE-HELP loan scheme and a new VET Student Loans scheme has been implemented.

If you currently have a VET FEE-HELP loan and you are continuing your program in 2017, the government will have contacted you in late 2016 to give you the option to continue to access VFH until 31 December 2017, or to apply for the new VET Student Loans program.

If you are commencing a new program after 1 January 2017 you will need to apply for the new VET Student Loans program.

Learn more about the new VET Student Loan scheme.

How to opt in for VET FEE-HELP for 2017

If you’ve been contacted by the government asking if you want to opt in to continue VET FEE-HELP (VFH) in your current program in 2017, you need to do so before 31st March 2017.

You can only opt in for VET FEE-HELP for your current program. If you are moving from one program to another, or one program level to another, you will need to apply for the new VET Student Loans scheme (see above).

How to opt in for VET FEE-HELP for 2017

If you’ve been contacted by the government asking if you want to opt in to continue VET FEE-HELP (VFH) in your current program in 2017, you need to do so before Monday 6 February 2017.

You can only opt in for VET FEE-HELP for your current program. If you are moving from one program to another, or one program level to another, you will need to apply for the new VET Student Loans scheme (see above).

Once you have opted to continue with VET FEE-HELP for 2017, the government will send you an email with a copy of your VET FEE-HELP opt in letter. To ensure you continue to receive VET FEE-HELP in 2017, you need to provide this letter as evidence of your eligibility to Federation Training by forwarding the email and attached letter to smshelp@federationtraining.edu.au.


VET Student Loans are available to assist eligible students studying higher level vocational education and training (VET) qualifications to pay their tuition fees. Higher level VET qualifications are at those at a Diploma level and above.  VET Student loans are capped at a maximum for each approved course of study and the amount of the loan cannot be greater than your remaining FEE-HELP balance.

You are eligible to apply for VET STUDENT LOAN for approved courses if you:

  • are an Australian citizen or permanent humanitarian visa holder (resident in Australia for the duration of the unit);


  • have not exceeded the FEE‑HELP limit; AND
  • meet course requirements as follows:
  • are a full fee-paying / fee for service student studying a diploma, advanced diploma, graduate certificate or graduate diploma level course at an approved VET STUDENT LOAN provider; OR
  • are a student subsidised by a state or territory government (other than the Australian Capital Territory) studying a diploma or advanced diploma course;
  • are enrolled with an approved provider in an eligible unit of study by the census date for that unit.


  • hold a New Zealand Special Category Visa; AND
  • first entered Australia as a dependent child aged under 18 years of age;
  • have been ordinarily resident in Australia for the previous 10 years (that is, you have been physically present in Australia for at least eight out of the past 10 years) and 18 months out of the last two years at the time of application for the loan; You will have to
  • provide evidence you have been living in Australia for the qualifying period. If necessary, you can obtain copies of your international movement records from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection by lodging form 1359‑Request for International
  • Movement Records available
    here; AND
  • are otherwise eligible for the loan.

For more information on VET Student Loan please ask a Federation Training Customer Service and Support Officer.


Before enrolling a student in a given VET Student Loans eligible course Federation Training must determine that the student is academically suited to that course,

This is demonstrated when:

  • the student’s completion of a Pre-Training Review with a Federation Training trainer/assessor establishes a reasonable belief that the student is academically suited, and
  • the student satisfies all entry requirements for the particular course, and
  • the student satisfies one of the following requirements:
    • they provide a copy of their VCE Certificate to Federation Training; or


  • the student is assessed as displaying competence at or above Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework (ACSF) by completing the Core Skills Profile for Adults (CSPA) Reading and Numeracy tests, and
  • Federation Training reasonably believes that the student displays that competence; or


  • they provide a copy of a certificate in a qualification at level 4 or above in the Australian Qualifications Framework, and
  • the course for the qualification was delivered in English


Your options for paying tuition fees for courses that are eligible for VET STUDENT LOAN are:

  • up-front payment; or
  • Government loan through the VET STUDENT LOAN scheme including eligibility criteria up to the capped amount:
  • Any materials fees incurred can be paid upfront or a instalment arrangement may be entered into

You may wish to seek independent financial advice prior to applying for a VET STUDENT LOAN loan.

Request for a VET Student Loan Electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form (eCAF)

Eligible students can request to apply for a VET STUDENT LOAN e-caf by completing and signing a VET STUDENT LOAN Intention to Apply Form.

Before applying you must read Vet Student loan Application booklet and VET Student Loan Additional Information and be aware of your obligations under  a VET Student Loans.

These forms are also available from all of the Federation Training Customer Service Centers.

You will need:

  • Evidence of citizenship i.e. birth certificate
  • Your Tax File Number
  • A Unique Student Identifier
  • If you are under 18 a parent or guardian signature

A customer service officer will complete the estimated cost of the course, this does not include any loan fees and also the Volume of Learning section so you know the expected duration of the course.


A e-caf must be completed prior to the first census date of your course If you do not submit your e-caf by the census date, you will not be eligible to access VET student loan  for that study period.

Study Period Start Date Census (Last date to withdraw)
Study Period 1 13/01/2017 31/03/2017
Study Period 2 1/04/2017 31/05/2017
Study Period 3 1/06/2017 31/07/2017
Study Period 4 1/08/2017 30/09/2017
Study Period 51/10/201712/12/2017

VET FEE−HELP Invoice Notice If you are accessing VET Student Loan a 'Vet Student Loan Invoice Notice' will be sent to you 14 days prior to each units census date outlining the debt that will be incurred post census date if you do not withdraw from the unit of study .

Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN) You will be sent a CAN within 28 days of the census date for each study period that you are using Commonwealth assistance. Your CAN will state how much you have been charged for the units you enrolled in and the amount of FEE-HELP debt you incurred for that study period.
If you believe the information on your CAN is incorrect, you have 14 days to submit a written application to your institution to request a correction (some institutions may allow for a longer correction period).

VET STUDENT LOAN and Withdrawing from Study It is important to correctly withdraw from your course or unit of study. If you don’t withdraw properly or if you miss the withdrawal deadline, you will incur a HELP debt.

What happens if I withdraw by the census date?

If you correctly withdraw from a unit by the census date, you will not incur a HELP debt. If you are using VET STUDENT LOAN, your FEE-HELP limit will not be reduced if you withdraw by the census date. If you have paid your tuition fees up-front, you may be entitled to a refund.

What happens if I withdraw after the census date?

If you withdraw from a unit after the census date, you will incur a HELP debt and will lose any up-front payment you made. If you are using Student Vet Loan, your FEE HELP limit will be reduced.


As an approved VET Student Loan provider, Federation Training is required to have tuition assurance arrangements in place to protect enrolled students in the event that the Institute ceases the delivery of an approved VET Student Loan course before it is completed.

Federation Training’s Tuition Assurance Scheme Operator (TAS Operator) is TAFE Directors Australia:

Contact details are:
TAFE Directors Australia
Website: www.tda.edu.au
Email: memberservices@tda.edu.au
Phone Number: (02) 9217 3180

In the event that Federation Training ceases to provide a course of study in which a student is enrolled and alternative arrangements cannot be made, the TAS Operator will offer affected students a replacement course with another provider which meets the relevant tuition assurance arrangements to be offered as a replacement course. The TAS Operator will provide this offer within twenty business days after it knows, or should know by reasonable enquiries, that Federation Training has ceased to provide the course of study.

A student in this circumstance may seek review of a decision about whether or not a course is a replacement course that meets the tuition assurance requirements.

A student who accepts the offer of a replacement course:

  • will not be required to pay the Second Provider for the replacement components (that is, units that the student had commenced but not completed because the course ceased to be offered) of the replacement course; and
  • will receive course credits for parts of the original course successfully completed with Federation Training.

It is important to note that the tuition fees for the remainder of the replacement course with the Second Provider may be different from the fees payable for the original course.

Students will have a period of 6 months in which to accept the offer for a replacement course. The TAS Operator may extend that period of 6 months in circumstances that justify an extension.

If there is no suitable replacement course for a student, the student’s FEE-HELP balance will be re-credited for the affected parts of the original course with Federation Training.

If the student enrols in a course that is not a replacement course, the student:

  • may be required to pay additional tuition fees; and
  • might not receive the course credits the student would have received if the student had enrolled in a replacement course.

Payment Plans

Instalment arrangements

  • Payment Plans are available to students enrolling in a Certificate IV or below course, or for Diploma and above government-subsidised materials fees only.
  • Students are required to pay an upfront, 10% deposit on commencement of the payment plan.
  • All fees must be finalised within six (6) months of course commencement, or at the end of the course, whichever is sooner.
  • Students need to provide the relevant bank account details of the account to be direct debited.
  • If the account to be direct debited IS NOT your own, the account holder must read and sign the direct debit declaration section on the instalment arrangement application.
  • Students under the age of 18 years must have the instalment arrangement form signed by a parent or guardian.

Centrepay Deduction

Centrepay is a direct bill paying service available to customers who receive a Centrelink payment. Students must complete a Federation Training Instalment Arrangement Application, provide their Centrelink Reference Number (CRN) as well as the name of the nominated Centrelink payment from which the payments will be deducted.

Instalment Arrangement Application forms are available by phoning 1300 133 717. A Customer Service and Support Officer can assist you with further information about Student Payment Plans.

Instalment Arrangement Application Form
(docx - 265kb)

Concession Fees

If you are enrolling in a Certificate IV level program or below, are eligible for a government-subsidised place and hold a valid and eligible concession a concession fee of 20% of the published fee will be charged for your tuition.

Eligible concessions are:

  • Commonwealth Health Care Card; or
  • Pensioner Concession Card; or
  • Veteran’s Gold Card.

These concessions also apply to the dependent spouse and dependent children of the card holder. Concession can be applied to the enrolment of government-subsidised students only and cannot be applied where VET FEE-HELP is available.

Indigenous Completions Initiative

Concession fees also apply to individuals who self-identify as being of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent.

Under the Indigenous Completions Initiative, Indigenous students will pay 20% of what the provider would have charged a non-concession student. To access this initiative, you must be eligible for a government supported place. It applies to all course levels, including Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas.


At Federation Training, we know that education can change lives.

Education is an important tool to unleash individual potential and form a pathway to a successful and prosperous career.

That is why Federation Training offer a variety of scholarships to ensure students can access a quality education and have the opportunity to get hands on and develop real skills and experience in the industry of their choice.

Our range of scholarships reflect a training organisation that is committed to providing education to a diverse variety of students.

Each scholarship is different, so it is important to read and understand the eligibility requirements to ensure you are applying for a scholarship that suits you and your needs best.

2017 Scholarships are now closed

Contact us

If you have any questions about any of the scholarships feel free to get in contact with us.

Email scholarships@federationtraining.edu.au
Phone 1300 133 717

Skills First

From January 2017, Victoria’s training and TAFE system will be overhauled through Skills First. A new approach to training will be implemented, setting a high benchmark for training quality, and supporting the courses that are most likely to lead to employment.

Skills First offers real training for real jobs, through:

  • High quality training tha​t students and industry can trust, aligned to industry and workforce needs.
  • A real voice for industry in training.
  • Funding for high needs learners who need additional support to e​ngage with and succeed in education and training.
  • Access to targeted, relevant training for students in regional areas.

The Government recognises the distinct role TAFEs have, as public providers who partner with industry and Government on key economic priorities, lead the training system in excellence and innovation, provide essential life skills and support services, and help disadvantaged students and communities.

Under the Skills First program the Victorian Government will support Federation Training and other Victorian TAFEs to be:

  • A benchmark for quality and a trusted adviser to Government: delivering the training needed to drive key Victorian priorities.
  • Centres of Excellence: competing on a global stage by partnering with industry to ensure productivity, innovation and the skills students need to get a job.
  • Providing more than just training: addressing the training and support needs of students to ensure they are work-ready graduates, providing a campus experience with support and other essential services, and helping disadvantaged and high needs students who might otherwise slip through the cracks.
  • Pivotal in regional communities: continuing their links with local businesses, and knowing what skills employers seek.
  • Leaders in international education: working collaboratively, Government will enhance TAFEs’ global reach and support an expansion in international education.

For more information on government-subsidised training places visit www.education.vic.gov.au/skillsfirst or ask a Federation Training Customer Service and Support Officer.

Withdrawals & Refunds

Our friendly Customer Service and Support Officers will be able to answer any questions you have regarding fees, refunds and withdrawals. Application for refund of fees will be processed in line with Federation Training Policy as summerised in the following table.


Federation Training Refund Policy

Certificate I-IV courses – government funded

Student initiated withdrawals – government funded

Full refund of units not yet commenced less:

Charge for materials already utilised

Diploma, Advanced Diploma or Vocational Graduate programs

Student initiated withdrawals prior to the census date

Full refund of tuition fees. If you are using VET Student Loans or VET FEE-HELP you will not incur a VET Student Loans or HELP debt and your FEE-HELP limit will not be reduced

Student initiated withdrawals after the census date

No refund of tuition fees.

Charge for materials already utilised

Fee-for service/commercial programs

Student initiated withdrawals - fee-for- service programs five (5) days before course commencement

Full refund of course

Students are not entitled to a refund if a withdrawal is not initiated, or they do not attend the course

20% refund of fees paid

Students are not entitled to a refund if a withdrawal is not initiated, or they do not attend the course.

  • If the Institute cancels or is unable to provide services for which the learner has prepaid, the learner will:
  • Be placed into an equivalent course such that:
    • The new location is suitable to the learner,  and
    • The learner receives the full services for which they have prepaid at no additional cost to the learner or
  • If the Institute cancels a short course 100% of fees will be refunded to the student.
  • In cases where the Institute ceases to offer the services or a student transfers to another RTO (Registered Training Organisation) and provides written proof of enrolment into the same qualification - 100% of fees any units not commenced will be refunded.