- Course Code
- Course Type
- Pre-Apprenticeship; Accredited Course
- Study mode
- On Campus (day)
- Full Time: 18 weeks (4 days per week)
- Starting Date
- February and July 2019
The Certificate II in Building and Construction Pre-apprenticeship provides learners with the basic skills in construction. The units include health and safety, safe use of hand and power tools. It includes practical tasks including the construction of a saw horse, step ladder and builds up to more skilled tasks including the construction of a 'cubby house'.
Learners will also partake in communication, teamwork, planning and organisational skills and self management in preparation for employment.
This qualification is designed to provide a head start on finding employment or an apprenticeship in carpentry.
TimesYallourn - Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday - 8am - 4.30pm
Bairnsdale - Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 8am - 4.30pm
Qualifications and RecognitionUpon successful completion of this course students will be eligible to receive the Certificate II in Building and Construction (Carpentry) (Pre-apprenticeship).
Typical learners who undertake the Certificate II in Building and Construction Pre-apprenticeship include:
- school leavers aiming to enter the bricklaying, carpentry, painting and decorating and joinery trades within the construction industry
- secondary student completing a Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) Victorian Education and Training (VET) VCE VET program which contributes to the VCE or Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL) commonly undertaken in years 10, 11 or 12
- early school leavers working in labouring roles looking for an apprenticeship or opportunity to up skill
- career changers wanting to experience a trade within the building and construction industry.
Opportunities for Further Study
Recommended entry requirements
- Nil - an interest in the construction industry would be an advantage.
Limitations to entry
- Learners MUST provide their own steel capped workboats, work pants or shorts and shirts appropriate to the construction industry.
VET Student LoansNot Applicable
Completing this course may assist you in getting an Apprenticeship
Pathway to Industry Licence
Material and Equipment supplied by students
- Safety boots
- Industry appropriate clothing
- Pens and pencils
Student ServicesSupport is available for students at every stage of the study journey. Please speak to any of our friendly reception or teaching staff.
Recognition of Prior LearningMany Federation Training courses offer Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). Click to learn more about RPL and how it can benefit you.
Work Effectively And Sustainably In The Construction Industry
Conduct Workplace Communication
Carry Out Measurements And Calculations
Apply basic levelling procedures
Apply OHS Requirements, Policies And Procedures In The Construction Industry
Prepare to work safely in the construction industry
Provide basic emergency life support
Construct basic formwork for concreting
Prepare for work in the building and construction industry
Erect and safely use working platforms
Identify and handle carpentry tools and equipment
Construct basic sub-floor
Construct basic wall frames
Construct a basic roof frame
Install basic external cladding
Install basic window and door frames
Install interior fixings
Interpret and apply basic plans and drawings
Perform basic setting out
Carry out basic demolition for timber structures
Assessment is competency based and includes practical demonstrations, problem solving, online quizzes, and completion of workbooks.