- Course Code
- Course Type
- Pre-Apprenticeship; Accredited Course
- Study mode
- On Campus
- 1 year
- Starting Date
- February 2019
- Sale (FLC)
This qualification is for people who wish to start a career in Agriculture at the assistant farm hand level. It enable individuals to select a livestock production or cropping focus, or mixed farming.
Participants carry out routine tasks under general supervision and limited autonomy.
TimesWednesdays 9.am - 3.00 pm and Fridays 9.00 am - 3.00 pm
Qualifications and RecognitionUpon successful completion of this course students will be eligible to receive the Certificate II in Agriculture.
- Assistant animal attendant/stock person
- Assistant farm or station hand
- Assistant farm or station worker
- Assistant farm or station labourer
Opportunities for Further Study
- AHC30116 Certificate III in Agriculture
- AHC30216 Certificate III in Agriculture (Dairy Production)
- AHC30416 Certificate III in Pork Production
Recommended entry requirements
- This qualification may be accessed by direct entry, part time or full time
- Applicants will be required to complete a full Language Literacy and Numeracy Assessment as a part of the pre entry requirements of the course. The LLN results must be a minimum of 2 across all three areas
- Applicants must prove that they have a suitable Agricultural / Horticultural business that they can undertake their practical placement on.
- Or alternately supply a letter from a suitable Agricultural / Horticultural employer stating that they are have access to employed work for a minimum of 1 day per week for the duration of the course.
- Applicants must have a capable level of Computer literacy.
- Applicants must have access to a PC / Laptop or Tablet as well as internet to support their learning and assessment out of school (scheduled teaching hours).
- It is strongly recommended that applicants hold a minimum “Car Learner Permit” prior to course commencement.
- Applicants must supply their own Safety Boots, Gumboots, Hat and / or Beanie, High vis work shirt, Safety Glasses, Ear Muffs, Leather
- Gloves and Wet weather gear for practical days and placements
Limitations to entry
- Ability to gain voluntary or employed farm work within the industry for a minimum of one day a week for the duration of the qualification
Reliable Internet connection
VET Student LoansNot Applicable
Placement240 hours for the duration of the qualification
Placement is arranged by: Student
Pathway to Industry Licence
Material and Equipment supplied by students
Mobile phone, computer or laptop or tablet, internet connection
Student ServicesSupport is available for students at every stage of the study journey. Please speak to any of our friendly reception or teaching staff.
Recognition of Prior LearningMany Federation Training courses offer Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). Click to learn more about RPL and how it can benefit you.
|Unit Code||Unit Description|
|TLID1001||Shift materials safely using manual handling methods|
|AHCWRK207||Collect and record production data|
|AHCMOM212||Operate quad bikes|
|AHCMOM211||Operate side by side utility vehicles|
|AHCLSK210||Muster and move livestock|
|AHCINF201||Carry out basic electric fencing operations|
|AHCWRK205||Participate in workplace communications|
|AHCLSK211||Provide feed for livestock|
|AHCINF202||Install, maintain and repair farm fencing|
|AHCLSK202||Care for health and welfare of livestock|
|AHCLSK209||Monitor water supplies|
|AHCWRK201||Observe and report on weather|
|AHCLSK205||Handle livestock using basic techniques|
|AHCSOL202||Assist with soil or growing media sampling and testing|
|AHCWRK209||Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices|
|AHCWRK204||Work effectively in the industry|
|AHCWHS201||Participate in work health and safety processes|
|AHCCHM201||Apply chemicals under supervision|
|AHCMOM207||Conduct front-end loader operations|
Quiz / Knowledge assessments, forums, presentations, practical demonstrations in simulated work conditions